Sunday, June 20, 2010

Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

Ok, Ive had it with cloth sofas and dog hair. I was wondering if I bought a leather set would it be easier to keep clean? My dogs are not allowed on the couches but, you know they get up there when no human is home. My dogs range from 209 to 9 lbs. Do you think trimmed nails would be a problem? Anyone else ever try this?



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

I have 5 Great Danes.



Leather is the only way to go, however, being 'leather' it doesn't take long for one of them to decide they are OK to chew on. It is incredible how fast a leather couch can disappear with a big dog. None of our dogs have been big chewers, even as puppies. All are crate trained and put away if we are gone for any length of time.



Our last couch was fine for months. When I jumped in the shower one day and came back out the couch was destroyed. I don't even know which one did it, but I have my suspicions. We never had that problem with a cloth couch. We stopped using cloth because of dog smell and hair.



We keep our dogs nails dremmled so we have not had that problem of scratching.



Leather is really easy to clean. Also with cloth furniture, when you are used to your own dogs, you don't notice how much your house smells like dog because the dog that is not allowed on the furniture get on there when you are not looking. Your guests notice.



With indoor dogs, leather furniture if possible, no carpet if possible. The house is easier to clean and will always smell better.



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

Good morning :)



My girl is sleeping next to me on a leather sofa right now :)



What I dislike is that when she is wet, staying on a leather doesn't help with her skin problems, so I have to watch it.



Have a great day!



P.S. She is a large dog.



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

Alright, no leather sofa here, but my van has a leather interior and I can say I have found that much easier to clean than fabric. You can wipe/brush away hair on leather, where fabric I swear it bonds with it! So I would think leather would be much easier. I think freshly trimmed nails "could" leave "scratches" but if you are using a dremmel to sand down the rough fresh cut edges, it should be fine.



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

I have a Leather Couch and Chair in the family room. Same thing, the dogs aren't "Allowed" on the couch, but the older one will sneak up if he knows nobody is watching and the young one occasionally has what we call "The Aussie Spaz" moment where he'll jump up.



They're a LOT easier to clean, but they do scratch....



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

I LOVE my leather sofa. I have 2 dogs, a shih tzu and an english mastiff, and while my big guy doesn't get up on the couch, you know his hair and slobber get everywhere! The leather is SO much easier to clean. We have some leather wipes that we just wipe it down with and it stays beautiful and I dont have to worry about stains or smells on the sofa. I wouldn't even buy cloth again.



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

There is people furniture, and there is pet furniture.



Do you let your pet onto your bed?



If so, you fail to see the relevance of the statement above.



Love can be shared without sacrificing comfort, you just need to set boundaries. Otherwise, you must accept the challenges you will face (either the hair, the slobber, or the damaged furniture).



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

My dogs range from 60 pounds to 8 pounds! I had the same problem, and the aussie left so much hair in the furniture it took me hours to get it out! We finally went and got leather for the family room, and it is wonderful! If you get a good quality thick leather, you don't even get nail scratches! And the hair just falls off. I will never go back to fabric again!



Stains are easy to wipe off as well.



Next we need to talk about carpet...



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

As long as you get a good leather it should be fine, I have a German Shepherd, who isn't allowed on the furniture, but is very pawy when he wants attention! He hasn't even scratched it.



As for chewing there is a spray you can get that dogs don't like the scent of, so it should stop them. I think one is called Johnsons Anti-Chew



They are also very easy to clean!



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

I don't have leather furniture....but a friend of mine does. She has two big dogs..a lab and a golden. I think you will like the leather furniture better because it is easier to clean (however, I wouldn't get a light color...my friend used to have creme colored leather furniture and it got pretty dirty looking...now she has brown leather furniture) I think the nails could be a problem scratching the leather....maybe grinding the nails could help with the sharpness? Anyway....Good luck with what you decide.....I have a cloth couch too.....but I just make sure a blanket is over it at all times...my dogs always get on the couch!



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

We currently have 3 dogs - 1 pointer mix, 1 pom and 1 dachshund AND leather furniture. When we are in the room with them, they are all sweet little darlings who behave perfectly. When we are NOT in the room, they "dig" on the furniture, lick and slobber all over it and as a result they have split 3 seams on the cushions (and trust me when I tell you this was so definitely NOT cheap furniture). The licking and slobbering leaves nasty stains and I have not even mentioned the hair. Yes, on the surface it is easier to clean the hair off and most of the "yuk" comes off with leather cleaner so you get the appearance of clean furniture. But, when you take the cushions off you will find a big blanket of doggie hair that is so hard to clean off, it gets down in all the crevices and ... well, you get the picture. The fact is - no matter what furniture you have, you are going to have a bit of a mess with dogs. It's a fact of life for those of us who can't live without the little buggers :-)



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

After our family room got extended, we went out and bought a leather sofa and chairs. I have a weim, a french mastiff, and that god awful shihtzu I can't pay anyone to take off my hands. We do have to blockade the area cause the weim is very shifty and in her old age has a little bit of a urine dribbling problem. I went to far as to get the more rustic looking stuff so the scratches wouldn't be so evident (just part of the patina dear) and I must say, the stuff has held up much better than the old cloth garbage- mastiff spit cleans right off, doesn't have that dingy discoloration across the areas where the dogs lean against it, etc. Probably smells like dogs but definitely doesn't suck up odor like the old stuff.



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

It is actully sappost to be the best kind of furniture for pet owners! easest to clean and easest for hair removale good choice and good luck!



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

Ok I have a load of dogs mine now range from 7weeks - 6 yrs and about 10 lbs to 180 I have a leather sofa set and I think it is great because it is easy to clean as for the nails when I trim thier nails I have learnt to soften the cut area with a nail file this stops them from cutting in to any furniture



No my dogs are not "Allowed" on the couch but as you know you can not watch 24/7 so yes when they get excited sometimes I will catch a puppy or two on the couch LOL



GOOD LUCK



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

Don't do leather. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I bought a "scratch resistant" sofa set and scratchless, my rear end. The dogs manage to scratch it quite easily.



I bought a Microsuede set for the living room, and that is 9000 times better. It doesn't stain, doesn't scratch and any hair vacuums up very quickly, much quicker and easier than vacuuming cloth, and you still have to vacuum leather as well because the hair gets in the nooks and crannies, so it is just as fast a clean up as leather. We tested the stain resistant quality of the microsuede by pooring coffe on it and it wiped right up. It didn't even look wet! I would go Microsuede before leather.



Oh, and microsuede is not near as expensive, so that is a bonus. I spent a fortune on my leather furniture and my microsuede was half the price.



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

I have cloth, my ex has leather. I gave him a rescue pit bull (10 mo). . . . the dog LOVED the couch.... the cushions were delicious....



his nails showed scratching, and drool shows up...doesn't come out...



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

I don't, but I know people who do have very thick leather couches / chairs etc. It stands up very well.



Anyone have leather furniture and a large dog?

I've got a greyhound (34kg - I think that's 75lbs) and a leather sofa.



Easier to keep clean? Yes, although we've had the sofa longer than we've had the dog, so I couldn't compare with a non-leather sofa for definite - ie what you'd be losing by changing from a fabric one.



There are scratch-marks on the sofa and they are very visible. As long as you're happy to put up with that, they're great. The leather one certainly holds less dust than a fabric one, and we don't have problems with hair on the sofa. On the carpet is another story...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans