Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

I never liked dog clothes and bows in their hair- until I got my shih-tzu. Her hair is always in her eyes if it's not tied up, and she freezes and shivers outside if I don't put a doggy-shirt on her to go potty!!! (And, she looks adorable!)



But then there are people who use their dogs as accessories. I'm actually going to give a presentation on this for my public speaking class in school next week. Any thoughts would help!



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

I have a schnauzer/poodle mix and I thought he would look absolutely adorable in this little blue sweater I bought. When I got home I attempted to put in on him, of course with a struggle. I thought he looked silly and the look I got from him was "you're kidding, right?" He flung himself against the furniture and walls trying to get it off. I took it off of him and returned it the same day. When I had him groomed, the groomer put a little scarf around his neck he didn't bother it, so he'll ocassionally wear a scarf.



Dogs are a huge part of our lives, they are our family. We shouldn't treat a dog as a child and dress it up in little outfits. I can understand if your dog needs it meaning if it's a smaller dog and it needs to keep warm. It's gotten so blown out of porportion and people have begun to go crazy with it. Does your Golden really need a sweater? No.



A dog is not an accessory. If you want to play dress up I suggest purchasing a baby doll. Again, I understand some dogs need a little sweater. I am seeing shoes for dogs that are not boots, pajamas and dresses. It's stupid. Your dog doesn't need jammies. It also drives me mad that people drag their dog with them to the store in their little purse carrier, the dog is squashed in while the owner shops. It doesn't make sense to me.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

i dont agree with poeple dresseing their pets up, the coats to keep them warm in the winter thats fine but when they put clothes on them and start to put sunglasses and hats and things on dogs i dont agree with it.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

I think 'abuse' is a little too strong a word, unless the clothing is too tight or is not allowing them to walk.



Mischa Barton using her dog as a purse - that was borderline abuse.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

tell you opinion..why you are oppose to it. Understand the opposition's point of view. Do your homework...we are not going to do it for you.



Good luck



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

It's abuse if there is something about the clothes that can choke or strangle the dog, like a sweater that goes over the head without Velcro closures, or strings dangling off a dog "hoodie".



Typing up the hair makes sense, as do dog blankets IF the animal must be groomed in a way that leaves his hair too short for protection (I mean the kind that look like horse blankets, not little human jackets that come in pet size sold in pet stores.)



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

I think there are far more important dog owner issues than dressing your dog.How about puppy mills supplying dogs to pet stores



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

As long as it is fun for the dog, then okay. I had a dog growing up who didn't mind being dressed up and we had a lot of fun playing together. Now I have 4 dogs and they hate it and get stressed and upset if I put anything on them, so I don't do it anymore.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

I think it is ok to dress up your animal but it is the people that just put them in their bag and parade them around that make me mad. They can walk. Some people take it to far where you can tell the animal isn't comfortable. You can make you happy by making the animal cute but make the animal happy by keeping it comfortable.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

i don't think dogs care about being dressed up, unless the clothing impedes their movement, is restrictive or is too hot, etc. It seems like people are the ones moralising about it for their own sakes. As long as dogs are well taken care of I can't see the harm. I personally couldn't be bothered but I will put a coat on my dog during winter to keep him warm.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

I think a dog has a coat there to keep it warm so it shouldn't need anything else. I have a 14 pound rat terrier with really short hair and she enjoys being outside in the winter, she loves the show and we still go for a walk every day unless it's colder than -20 degrees F. She doesn't shiver or need a coat so why should any dog???



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

I cant put bows in my doggies hair because their short haired but I too put sweaters on for warmth and it says in my Chihuahua for dummies book to do that to keep them warm.If I dont they will shake, I live in the mountains where its cold,plus yes they look so cute but I think when people wanna pearce dogs ears and all thats pushing it.It can hurt them and people still do it.I would never.Even to look cute it could snag on something and rip the poor dogs ear.That is abuse to me.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

I totally agree with you! Dog clothes can be good and bad. If it is to protect them from the cold, then they were an excellent idea. But i hate it when i see people carry around their dog (well except when their dog is tired) but COME ON DOGS HAVE FEET............THEY CAN USE THEM!!! if they wanted to carry around a thing and dress it up so it matches them, GIVE BIRTH TO A KID OR ADOPT ONE!!!!! People today have to learn how to treat their dogs like DOGS and let them be what they want to be. ok FYI..... dogs are dogs- not little babies. i love dogs and i hate to see them being treated like acessories. There is where you draw the line. Like it is OKAY to love your dog and everything, but there is a fine line between acessory and mans best friend - oh and another point MAN'S BEST FRIEND- NOT ACCESSORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for letting me voice my opinion :D :D that felt good- i let it all out! hope it helps for your assignment/ presentation :D



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

Unless your shih tzu is professionally clipped, the hair in front of the eyes has got to be tied up with latex bands. Its up to you what you put on your dog as long as it doesn't restrict her movement or going to potty. Yes, there are some people who take it too far, they start thinking about the health and welfare of the dog first then it moves to cute and then it moves to classy and expensive, that means that the health and welfare of the dog they began with went right out of the window!. They don't care if their dog cannot walk properly or run just as long as they look the biz! This is show off and shouldn't be done. yes, you can buy a doggy shirt or the odd classy collar as long as it doesnt go too far or over-clothed her and it doesn't hurt or restrict the every day lifestyle of the dog.



Hope this helps.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

If it does not physically harm the dog or cause it discomfort I see no problem with it. If it constricts movement, breathing or circulation, then it becomes a problem.



However, putting a frilly pink tutu on a male English bulldog or cane corso is wrong no matter how you look at it.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

I think dogs look stupid in some of the getups that people think they gotta have. But like you said a lot of people treat their dogs like a fashion accessory instead of a living breathing creature. My dogs do have little coats for when it is cold out. I have pajamas for one who is very cold natured but he only has to wear them when it is very cold. My dogs sleep in my very large laundry/mud room where I have a little heater to keep them warm. But sometimes the draft comes in under the door anyhow and even though their beds are elevated off the floor a little bit they still get cold, hence the coats. But the coats are functional, meaning that they are made out of a material that doesn't have tiny sequins or lace on it, the material is chosen for it's wearability for the dog. i try to choose materials that don't cause static cling - what dog wants that? I want something that is comforable and wont scratch or irritate. I try to choose materials that will launder and wear well. Cute is good but not a requirement.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

I have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and I live in South Dakota, so we have pretty cold winters (its been below zero more this month then it has been above) So both of my dogs have doggie boots and coats for when we go outside. I also do volunteer therapy work with my female Cavalier so she has quite a few different collars and some bandanas that she wears when we go places. I think that dog clothes and accessories are ok as long as they have a purpose. My friend has a Chinese Crested and he has shirts that she puts on him in the winter even when he is inside. Then he has a coat and boots for outside. When people dress thier dog up all the time and cart them around in a little bag or stroller is when I think its too much.



Dog clothes- where is the line drawn from cute to abuse?

A-ha, finally.. a question that interests me!



I also have a Shih Tzu. Trixie has a collection of coats, shirts, bows, barrettes, even her own bag that has all of her "hair stuff" in it. It includes brushes and combs, a MILLION rubber bands for her ponytails, and detangler spray. The moment I pull that bag out, she goes nuts! She runs over and will sit on my lap and hold still, eyes closed. It's like brushing a little girl's hair. Almost creepy, actually. But far from animal abuse.... I don't take her everywhere with me, but she does occasionally get to go "byebye" with me. She will NEVER be carried in a bag or purse, or attached to me while I go jogging, I assure you. Some dogs will let you know..... they either sit still and embrace it or they run away or bite at whatever you are trying to do to them.



She also has a pink suede coat... if I take it off of her and put it down, she goes and lays in it and tries to burrow, almost as if she's putting it back on. :)



Good luck on your presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans