Sunday, June 20, 2010

I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

My dog has these clumps of hair behind her ears. We tried getting them out but we can't get them out. Do you know how we can? She is a three year old female golden retriever. I thank any advice given.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

That's just matted fur. A lot of dogs get matted hair behind their ears. My Sheltie does all the time and I've seen tons of other dogs with it too. It does need to be taken care of though.



You can snip it off with scissors, but be very careful not to cut her skin. You may have to remove about 1/2 of it now and wait for it to grow out a bit. Use heavy, sharp scissors...sometimes these knots are really bulky.



You can also use a set of clippers made for animals to shave them off. This is much easier since you don't have to worry about cutting her. Regular human clippers don't usually work in my experience.



But, the very easiest thing to do is to take her to the groomer and have them do it for you. If you can't afford to have the whole grooming process done (bath, comb out, nails, etc.) that's no biggie. Just call and tell them you only want behind the ears clipped. Most groomers will do that for a few bucks and it'll only take about 10 minutes, at most.



To prevent these tangles you need to comb behind her ears pretty often. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a dog comb and rake. They are probably about $5 each. Use them behind her ears at least a couple times each week. It'll only take a few minutes and it'll keep this from happening again.



The hair will grow back and quicker than you think. Most times I don't even notice if the groomer has to shave behind my Sheltie's ears. It's not like your dog will look like she's losing patches of hair or anything so don't worry about that.



Good luck.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

Gently cut them out of her fur. It will grow back.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

go to the vet or the groomer



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

our sheltie use to have the same problem - brushing them out is really harsh for her it's painful. you can shave those knots off and their hair will grow back - to prevent it from happening again you'll have to brush her to keep the knots from building up. Long hair dogs usually have knots build up behind the ears.



I bought a shaver for my dogs - i now clip their fur myself - really simple job once u learn how saves a bundle at the groomers - i also use the furminator - very good at pulling out dead unwanted hair too - make sure you clean the ears too and brush the teeth tho.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

what have you tried doing? have you gone to the vet yet? check with the professionals before you say that you've done everything.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

I do not exactly know your situation due to lack of detail but maybe you should shave/cut the hair off. Make sure you keep it brushed while it grows back so it does not clump.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

check out the forum http://www.oes.org/page2/3204~Puppy_hair...



"I'm pretty sure it's from him scratching or chewing on himself. We've also noticed that he looks a little dandruffy when we brush him. We came to the same conclusion about dry skin. We were going to consult with our vet to see if we should add some canned food (he's only on dry) or some other supplements. The pink salmon sound like an interesting treat!"



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

You should've brushed the dog more, since we're past that..



If the matted clumps are that bad, take her to the vet (it may have attached to the skin, which could cause pain if you cut it).



If it's pretty light and you think they can be safely removed by an amatuer, take her to a pet chain store and ask for the $5 shave/dematt thing.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

hold her still and cut the hair clumps out. i have a collie and i know how matted the hair gets behind the ears. good luck, my dog hates it when i have to cut them out.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

Are they mats? If they are you need to use a slicker brush after using a pair of thinning shears on them. Just be careful not to get the skin with the shears.



Long haired dogs, especially if kept outside, need to be brushed DAILY! Once the mats build up it is painful for the dog and only makes it harder on both of you.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

Those clumps of hair are called mats. My dog is a long-haired breed, as well, and what I have to do is cut them out with scissors. Since I have taken her to the groomer once a month, that has not really been an issue. Do you take your dog to a grooming salon near you? If not, you should. It worked for my dog.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

go to the vets and have them try figure it out or you can just cut them out thats what my gramdparents so with their dog (she gets them behind her ears)



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

Cut them out and than give her a really good bath and brush her really well from head to toe



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

If the dog doesn't stay still enough for you to cut it DON'T TRY!



I completely understand if the dog isn't still. If it's not, either do it while the dog's completely asleep, do it with a beard trimmer (electric, without the blade sticking out,) or take the dog to a vet/groomer.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

first take a bath and then if they are still there then go to the vet and say is this a common thing



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

sometimes human shampoo can help go for garniee it works with our dogs when they get into pine gum other wise u may be cutting what ever she got into out of her coat,,,



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

If you are not picky about how she looks than carefully cut it out of her fur and if you dont feel comfortable doing it go to the groomers and they will do it for you.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

if i'm correct I belive its called matting and if thats the case it needs to be cut away befor it gets to the skin or it will need shaved off no biggie you cought it so just cut it but be carefull one nik of the dog and he will be terrified forever but might bleed a lot



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

bath them first thenuse a brush or if they are really bad CUT them off (same thing happend to my dog well i think they are)



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

Well I have a german shepherd you should go to the vet or to the grooming. Most groomers know and they cost less.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

The only way to get mats out is to cut them out (kind of dangerous when you're working around the ears), or to brush and comb them out. Use a mat comb that you can get at a pet supply store, that can sometimes break up the mat more easily. Or you can use any old brush, but just brush carefully and consistently until the mat unravels. It's like a big tangle, or a dredlock...it's going to take time to undo. Keep the area brushed regularly to prevent the mat from coming back. Have patience, be kind (it hurts to pull hair!), and good luck.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

u can cut them out but just be careful and not cut the ear. start off little at a time and in between try to comb it out. good luck



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

Clumps as in mats? You can cut them out very carefully and comb the rest of the hair that's left....the rest of the matting should come out with a comb. Comb gently! Like another dog lover said, the hair will grow back. You may want to comb the hair behind her ears so th "clumps" don't comt back.



If you don't feel you can do it, take her to a groomer, they can do it for you.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

The clumps are called MATS! The hair is matted behind the ears.



The only way the mats are going to get out now is if you trim them out with a scissor. You have to be VERY careful or else you can cut the dog because the mat probably goes to the skin.



If you don't feel comfortable trimming them out take the dog to the groomer and they can take care of it for you.



Once you get the dog groomed brush it daily and there will be no more mats.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

well u need to take her to a vet groomer anf they can shave them off or whatever needs to be done,



and after they have gotten them out every night sit down with ur dog and comb its hair,



you will be keeping the knots away and its a great time to bond with ur pet, and brushing on a daily basis is really good for dog's hair, it keeps it healthy and shiny and you dont get as much sheding because u are brushing away the loose hair!!!!



and besides most dogs love it!!!! it feels good on their skin mine fall asleep in my lap when i brush theirs



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

I use to have a dog whose hair did this. Now carefully with help you take a pair of pointed scissors and you cut through the clump. The hair will start pulling away. You just keep cutting through it until the bulk of it is away. Then you should be able to gently comb the rest out or cut against the base of the clump. It may not be the prettiest hair cut behind the ears but it will grow back quickly and they will feel much better.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

Long haired dogs get these lumps if the fur behind their ears isn't brushed out every couple of days. The best way to get them out is to cut them. Get a good pair of scissors with long blades. Grasp the clumps firmly and pull them gently. Cut underneath the clump, but do not cut her skin! Be very careful to not cut her skin! She will probably feel much better once you get the clumps out, and if you brush that fur every couple of days then they should not come back.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

Cut her fur making sure that you aren't cutting her ears!



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

Shes matted..its typical of the breed, if not brushed regularly.......you can either brush and comb them out using a detangle spray, or have the groomer shave them out and then keep her brushed to prevent them from returning.



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

if u thinks its something to worry about go to the vet



I need help with my dog??? 10 points best answer!?

wait for the right moment till she needs to b put down. be seansable ppl y!a just got stricter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans