Sunday, June 20, 2010

Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

I have a Great Dane and I used to have a Rat Terrier but we had to give her to a family friend becuase she didn't like the Great Dane and kept peeing in the house, she was trying to mark her teritory. If I get a little dog when it's a puppy and get it used to the Great Dane would it be okay? The Great Dane is very gentle, but would he squash the dog on accident? I plan on mostly keeping the dog with me, but if I leave it home, like to go to school or tennis, would he hurt her/him while trying to play?



What kind of dog would be best according to what I want:



-I want a really little dog.



-I already feed my Great Dane and take him outside to go to the bathroom everyday, so one more wouldn't be a problem.



-I don't really want a yappy dog, is there any small yet calm/nice dog breed?



-My neighbors had a Shih Tzu. She was the sweetest dog ever and she was really cute when they kept her hair short. She was the nicest dog I ever saw, would a Shih Tzu be a good dog for me?



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

the great dane(no matter how mellow or well trained) is never going to understand the gentle factor ....i wouldn't do it...think of how stressful it would be for the little dog and how frustrating for the big one. We have a 75# hunting dog and a 4 pound poodle and although they seem to like each other just the matter of the big face sniffing the tiny one is overwhelming to the little dog. The small dog got knocked over a lot and the big dog had no idea what he did wrong so we now have his and her dogs and seperate yards for them so minimize time together.



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

i have a great dane and a rat terrier and they love each other! the great dane protects the little one and is mostly scared of rat terrier! it is fun to watch them play! they are both crate trained so i dont have to worry about them while my husband and i are at work! Report It



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

I think the best answer here is completely bogus. My great dane has a kitty of his own (no joke)(, and even though the cat suckles on him and pesters him, he's always extremely gentle. My dane is 155 lbs..the cat, probably about 8 pounds. Report It



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

To say that a dane would never understand the gentle factor is ludicrous...most of them are VERY gentle dogs, especially with the right training. Report It



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

They could work together....I have a Lhasa Apso and she gets along great with the other big dogs in the neighborhood



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

I would be afraid of a great dane and a small dog only because my grandmother chihuahua was killed by one that was gentle, nice and friendly. My mom on the other hand had both but I think they were introduced to each other as puppies so they grew up together and that would be the only way I would do it after my grandmothers experience, the GD was her friends dog the chihuahua was hers.



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

as long as you train it and as long as the great dane is nice



witct it probroluly is



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

The concern should be what would be best for the little dog. Your Dane might be a gentle dog but, I wouldn't get a small dog now. The Dane might not mean to but, he could get too rough for the little dog. Nothing wrong with having a big and a little dog but, a Dane is large in the extreme.



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

shih tzus are nice little dogs but you can go here and find out the perfect one!!!!!



http://animal.discovery.com/breedselecto...



good luck!!!!



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

A dog is a dog is a dog is a dog. Breed however, is different...some dogs are more prone to yapping like Dino than others. Do your research on small dogs first because everyone here has an opinion on their favorite small dog--you need to find one that matches your wants/needs and not necessarily base your selection off of the opinions given here. If you go to the American Kennel Club website, they have a "dog survey" you can take to help narrow down your choices. I personally love Dachshunds and they have a bad wrap for being "yappie dogs" but I've had 3 (1 recently died at the age of 16 and I have 2 I rescued an old lady %26amp; a 2 year old) and I don't tolerate barking so they're not yappie.



As for the Great Dane.....love them love them love them. However although he is a good dog you still have to PROPERLY INTRODUCE them together as this introduction will set the tone for the remainder of their time together. I just finished reading the Dog Whisperer's book--you should read it too because it addresses many of your concerns and is a great reminder that dogs are dogs and need to be treated and cared for as dogs, not humans like I tend to do with my little babies. :)



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

All the Great Danes that I've had, have been very good with small dogs. They instinctively know that they must be careful around little guys.



Though I've never had a small dog myself, I foster for our local SPCA since we have no shelter. The puppies and the dogs needing medical attention come to stay with me until they are adopted. I currently have 4 Great Danes, and we've never had a problem. Actually, the little guys generally are the boss!



The small ones soon learn to get out of the way when the Danes are playing. The Danes are generally very protective of their little chums. Naturally, they need to be properly introduced first.



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

A lot of Dane owners also have small dogs..Chihuahuas and Min Pins are very popular with Dane owners.



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

Great Danes are indeed gentle giants, but mine absolutely loves any and all other animals, but has hurt my neighbors toy poodle (on accident of course). Mine doesn't have a clue of how big he is, so he doesn't understand how hard he plays. If yours understands, it may be different, but otherwise if you really wanted it, I would kennel train them for while I was away.



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

One of my good friends has a Pug and a Great Dane. The Dane is such a gentle giant and so intelligent. Now I really don't like pugs due to their overheating problems, but still they get along great with each other.



But as was said on here before, I definitely recommend staying away from a toy breed. Danes may be gentle but they are very large and very well could hurt a toy breed. You said you want a "really little" dog, so I'm imagining you were thinking of something in that Toy range but I wouldn't. Plus the majority of them tend to be yappy. But there are lots of small dogs that have stockier builds, like a daushound, pug, lhasa, bichon, shihtzu, pom or pap. However, one plus: pomeranians and lhasas both tend to have soft "woof" barks that aren't the slightest bit yappy.



I'd get a small dog thats in that 10-15 lb range. Thats still little. I mean there are sooo many choices and really the temperment has to be researched. If its a puppy, its going to get along with any dog and especially a Dane which aren't an aggressive breed to begin with. Try a dog thats at least medium on the energetic level though so that it can keep up with you and the Dane on walks.



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

I have a 185 lb. Great Dane and a 4 lb.Chihuahua.



The Chihuahua doesn't know he is little and they get along great.



The Dane doesn't squish him and they sleep together. Both are intact males.



Could a Great Dane be okay with a little dog?

You just have to teach the great dane to be gentle and for a little do teacup and toy poodles are great little dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans