Thursday, June 17, 2010

My dog was neutered, but I'm not sure they did it right.. how can I tell?

Ok, my dog (a 10 lb. short hair pekingese/chihuahua mix) was neutered about a month ago. Since then we have noticed that while the sack is gone, he still appears to have his "balls." They are high up near the shaft of his willy. Also, he's still getting very "excited" a lot, and stopping that was the main reason I had him fixed in the first place.



I'm just starting to worry that they didn't do the surgery right. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.



My dog was neutered, but I'm not sure they did it right.. how can I tell?

The testicles will never be up against the shaft, unless the dog is born cryptorchid -- if this were the case, the vet would have told you, and you'd have paid a lot more for the neuter!



If you think you're seeing his testicles there when he's "excited", what you're probably seeing is the bulb of his penis...this is what swells up during a mating and "locks" dogs together when they tie. It will look to be down near the base of the shaft. Check there when he's snoozing or relaxed...if it's gone, you have your answer.



As someone else said, his getting excited -- and the subsequent arousal -- will subside with time.



If all else fails, you should voice your concerns with the vet who did the surgery.



NOTE: Neutering through the removal of the testicles (as opposed to vasectomy, which involves only the vas deferens) is still the most popular method of male dog sterilization. Unless you vet specifically told you he was performing a vasectomy, the testicles should be gone.



My dog was neutered, but I'm not sure they did it right.. how can I tell?

The first thing to do is to discuss your concerns with the vet who did the surgery. If you don't get satisfactory answers, take the dog to another vet for an examination.



My dog was neutered, but I'm not sure they did it right.. how can I tell?

Take your dog to another vet for a second opinion.



My dog was neutered, but I'm not sure they did it right.. how can I tell?

Take him to another vet for a second opinion. The only way you will know for sure is if a veterinarian examines his parts.



My dog was neutered, but I'm not sure they did it right.. how can I tell?

I'm not sure what age your pup is, but if they are neutered when they are older, they can continue the "sexually excited" play for a while after they have been neutered.



Also, they no longer remove the testicles in neutering procedures, instead they cut the vas deferens (sperm tube). Which is why you still see his 'balls'. Believe it or not, I started hearing about this after I saw a show on Animal Planet about people getting "falsies" (fake testes) for their dog!



My dog was neutered, but I'm not sure they did it right.. how can I tell?

hah show him a ******! see what happens lol jk. I would't worrie to much my dog had that too when we got him nuetured... they just still seemed to be there. well after like some months I noticed they were gone! I dont really know if they were "dead" and just fell off I have no clue but I do know there not there. but if your worried that they didnt do their job right you can always bring him back to the vet and ask. Or you can uses my instructors daughters method..... wrap around it with a tight rubber band it and it will eventually shrivel up and die yet I do not suggest doing that method.



My dog was neutered, but I'm not sure they did it right.. how can I tell?

Those are not his balls. It's a glad that gets larger when the dog is excited. Nuetering will not stop him from being excited. That will most likely fade away after time.



Normally after a male dog passes through adolecense and hasn't had his balls for a while that will decrease. But just because he lost his balls doesn't mean he won't become excited anymore!



All just part of owning a male dog.....



My dog was neutered, but I'm not sure they did it right.. how can I tell?

Actually it depends on your vet and where you live whether or not they remove the testicles --it is the norm here with a vasectomy being much more expensive. You are not seeing the puppy's balls near the shaft -- that is actually a part of the penis and it does get larger when the puppy is excited.



Your puppy will still get exctied for awhile but it should go away within a few weeks.



My dog was neutered, but I'm not sure they did it right.. how can I tell?

They did it right. What you are seeing are not testes. All male dogs have those "lumps" up there, but they don't always show 24-7. I believe they are part of the prostate tissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans