Thursday, June 17, 2010

I think my dog had a heat stroke part II?

So this morning i woke up mostly expecting to walk outside and see my dog passed away. surprisingly he is still alive. i then had a brilliant idea. i went ahead and took a pair of scissors and started cutting my dogs hair. he's German Shepard/rottweiler mix so his hair was long. my parents won't take him to the vet because they think that it's going to cost too much. he's still eating and drinking but is VERY lethargic, he only puts his head up to eat and drink. right now he looks like he has the hiccups but i don't think it is because he's had it for 5 days none-stop. does anyone know of any home remedies to stop it?



To read part I:



http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;...



I think my dog had a heat stroke part II?

well, i am sorry for your situation, but you shouldn't cut his hair, you are taking his protection from the sun away. however, his coat may need attention to help keep him cooler. if he has chunks of undercoat coming out very easily when you pull (very common this time of year), then he needs help getting rid of his winter coat. you need to get a slicker brush and/or an undercoat rake, you can find cheapies at wal mart, and brush all of that excess hair out. you should continue to brush your dog at least three times a week.



german shepards are double coated dogs, and that undercoat hair is hollow, and actually insulates him from the sun. if you cut it, you risk sunburn, which will make your situation worse. it's especially dangerous to use scissors, dog hair doesn't grow like people hair. getting all the dead winter hair out will help keep your dog cooler in the future.



i am sorry to have to suggest this, but if your family is unable or unwilling to afford vet care for situations such as this, it may be time to find your pet a new home until you get in a situation where you can. it is unfair to your dog to have to suffer, and i can tell you don't like it either. this may be the best thing you can do for your dog, although it would be hard, i understand. if your dog gets over this, what happens next time when he breaks a leg or something even more serious? I hope that everything turns out all right for you and your dog. the fact that he's still eating and drinking is good.



I think my dog had a heat stroke part II?

What did you lose him to? What was his diagnosis? Report It



I think my dog had a heat stroke part II?

I think that if your parents won't take the dog to the Vet, or they should at least call the local Animal Shelter or Vet and ask their advice on what could be wrong with your dog. It sounds to me like he/she is really sick. Good luck.



I think my dog had a heat stroke part II?

your dog probaly did have a heat stroke but you shouldnt have a dog if you cant take care of it even though you may love him like familey alls your doing now is making him suffer so try to hurry and make some money and if you dont have a job then get one and if you have one you should think about getting a part time one as a second job or if your not old enough then make a limeade stand and make a sign that says raising money for my sick dog . good luck or do a neighbor hood car wash that would be fun



I think my dog had a heat stroke part II?

Is he old? It just might be natures course or his could be Parvo. Has he been vaccinated? I think this situation is very sad because you seem young and there is not much you can do. If I were you, I would tell a neighbor or another family member. Call a vet and see what they can tell you over the phone. Tell them your situation. Your dogs life depends on you if no one else is willing to help him. Some Humane Societies have cheap or free healthcare for you pets. Call around. I will be thinking of you. Let me know how he turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans